toilet paper tube
white camera film canister
vinegar and baking sodaor alka-seltzer tablets
1.Use the markers to make a design on the toilet paper tube (rocket launcher).
2.Tape the rocket launcher to the center of the plate.
3. Put 1 tbsp of vinegar in the film canister. Hold it near the launcher and add 1/2 tsp baking soda.
4.Quickly snap the lid on and drop into the launcher lid side down.
(Rocket will launch (usually 10-20 seconds). Be sure to wait at least a minute before checking on the rocket if it doesn't launch. )
We can then of course talk about why that happened (because of the carbon dioxide) and then the children will know that mixing certain things together makes a reaction that. They will have so much fun doing this and talk about it for weeks to come.
- 590 ml pop bottle
- Baking pan
- 6 cups dirt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 cup vinegar
- Red food coloring
1. Remove the cap from the empty pop bottle and put it in the middle of the baking pan.
2. Put dirt around the bottle to form a mountain. Tip: Add a bit of water so the dirt sticks together but don’t cover the mouth of the bottle while you’re doing this.
3. Add a few drops of red food coloring to the vinegar so it becomes a red, lava-like mixture.
4. Pour the baking soda into the bottle, then pour the red liquid in and watch what happens! Red foam will spray out of the bottle and down the mountain of dirt, simulating a volcano eruption!